Oracle Intelligent Advisor

Oracle Intelligent Advisor is a platform for generating web interviews on the basis of a data structure and an encoding of rules.

Data structure definition and testing of the resulting web application occurs in a designer tool called Oracle Policy Modeling, and rules are specified in Word and Excel documents using plugins. The intent is to allow non-programmer subject matter experts to quickly update employee or client-facing systems when relevant policies change.

It has been used to automate the eligibility screening for Legal Aid in the United Kingdom. It is marketed as a part of Oracle’s suite of products for customer service, and is generally deployed in private organizations as a way of generating a dynamic script for telephone support personnel (reducing retraining costs for support staff), or for creating client-facing websites in rule-driven enterprise environments like insurance.

The rule language used has a semantics similar to first order logic, referring to elements in a complex data structure that includes cross references. It also features the ability to deal with values that change over time as the conditions of logical rules. The generated web interfaces include natural language explanations for the conclusions, with annotations provided by the rule encoder.

We encountered the product already when it was still called RuleBurst and operated as an independent Australian-based (?) company - maybe 15 years ago? Then someone bought it and merged it together with another similar product - and finally Oracle aquired the product back in… well, years ago. First it was rebranded “Oracle Policy Automation”, nowadays it’s then something else. But my point is that I didn’t see much development in the software itself from those early days when we tried it out in our organization (Finnish Tax Administration).

Personally I thought it was really promising and quite easy to get a grip of after just a couple days training. Especially the dynamically created “interviews” and their results gave almots a wow-effect to the software :slight_smile:

Wow, yeah, “RuleBurst” is going a ways back, now.

Do you know if there’s any relationship between the people who did RuleBurst and the people who are doing DataLex in AustLII, now? Or is it just coincidence that they both use controlled natural language, automatically generated interfaces, and explanations, and are from Australia?

I really want an open source tool with the same wow factors (and maybe some new ones).